Background

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Harvest

SUGAR BEETS


Sugar beets are such a funny crop to me. I really don't know much about them which is funny because I grew up 45 minutes from a town named Sugar City and their high school mascot was the "diggers". I'm not sure I even knew what a sugar beet was until my first trip to the Telfords. They are such a finicky little crop. They are the first thing planted in the ground and the last thing to be harvested. I remember so clearly coming to the farm for the first time when I was dating Bobby and he was running the beet manager (which thins the beets in the rows). I remember looking over and seeing 5-6 guys with garden hoes in 90 degree weather weeding the weeds in the field and thinking "you have got to be kidding me"! I just hoped they got paid a lot because that is a big job.


Jaci and Tayson looking for some blue ribbon beets. Sugar beets are so cool looking.


A baby beet for Kaleb


We love coming to the field to be with Bob. The tractor may be a little squishy for all of us, but it is really fun. We got ahead of the trucks for awhile and had some fun time playing in the dirt with our Dad.


I don't know how sugar is made from a beet and I really do want to take a tour of the factory someday, all I know is that it puts out an awful smell. I guess its just good that the end result is candybars and treats because that just makes all the work totally worth it!



POTATOES

(This is a terrible picture of a field, however it's the only one I took. I'll do better next season!)

Potatoes seemed to go so fast this year. I don't know if it was the nice weather, or simply the fact that Bob was finishing up hay during the first few weeks of digging so I didn't pay attention to the fact it was going on. At any rate they are finished and we are happy!


Tractors have come a long way since I was a kid riding in one. Buddy seats are amazing, however I think I am going to write John Deere to see if they can come up with an extended cab!

No comments: